Applications open for Hilltop Hoods Initiative
$10,000 grant on offer
Emerging Australian hip hop and soul artists are invited to apply for the 2017 Hilltop Hoods Initiative to help further their careers.
Offering a grant of $10,000 to cover costs associated with manufacturing, promoting and distributing an album or EP, the Initiative is open to APRA AMCOS members who have not yet released a commercial album on an industry recognised label.
While the grant is not intended to cover the costs of recording or mixing an album, it can be used for costs like mastering, publicity, artwork and vinyl manufacture.
Along with the cash, the winning artist will also receive legal advice courtesy of David Vodicka and Media Arts Lawyers plus a Love Police ATM merch start-up kit.
The Hilltop Hoods Initiative is now in its 12th year and has supported the work of previous winners including Astro Travellers, Sarah Connor, Jimblah, Chelsea Jane, I AM D and RUNFORYOURLIFE.
“We couldn't be more excited about this year's Initiative,” said Hilltop Hoods’ Suffa MC.
“We were so impressed with a previous recipient, I AM D, that we distributed his EP ‘M.N.T.N.S' through our label Golden Era Records. This year is extra exciting as we're bringing a new judge on board, Sose Fuamoli of the The AU Review. We can't wait to see what this year's Initiative brings."
Entries will be judged by a panel comprising some of the most respected figures in Australian hip hop:
Applications are open now and close Tuesday 21 March 2017, 5pm AEDT.
- Hau (ACT) - Artist (Koolism), presenter (triple j’s The Hip Hop Show)
- Sosefina Fuamoli (SA) – Editor of The AU Review
- Nish (SA) - Graffiti artist, Indigenous community worker, promoter
- Ran-Dee (NSW) - Manager (Def Wish Cast, NTSC), booking agent, promoter
- Raph (VIC) - Artist, clothing label owner (Blank Clothing), author (Behind The Beat)
- Tom Thum/Tommy Illfigga (QLD) – MC, beat boxer, graffiti artist, b-boy, producer
The winner will be announced Thursday 11 May 2017.
For more information on eligibility and how to enter, visit apraamcos.com.au/hilltop-hoods-initiative/