Ready to release an album or EP? Need a bit of help to cover all the extra costs? The Hilltop Hoods Initiative offers $10,000 to an emerging Australian hip hop or soul artist with music that’s ready to be unleashed on the world. Along with cash, the winner will also receive legal advice courtesy of David Vodicka and Media Arts Lawyers plus a Love Police ATM merch start-up kit.
HILLTOP HOODS INITIATIVE KEY DATES
Applications open: 15 February 2017
Applications close: 21 March 2017, 5pm AEDT
Recipient announced: 11 May 2017
Hilltop Hoods Initiative enquiries: email@example.com
WHO CAN APPLY?
To be eligible for the Hilltop Hoods Initiative, applicants must be:
- Any age (but it is expected you will be in the early stages of your career)
- An Australian citizen or must have been a legal resident of Australia for the past two consecutive years
- An emerging Australian based hip hop or soul artist or group
- An APRA AMCOS member (or have applied to join APRA AMCOS)
You are not eligible if you:
- Are a previous recipient of the HTH Initiative
- Have already released a commercial album (an original project with 10 or more songs) on an industry recognised label
- Are an APRA AMCOS employee (or an immediate family member of an APRA AMCOS employee)
WHAT IS THE FUNDING FOR?
The funding can only be used to cover the costs associated with manufacturing, promoting and distributing an album. These costs can include:
- Album artwork and design
- Marketing and promotional materials (eg. posters, advertisements etc)
- Manufacturing (eg. vinyl, CDs)
- Admin costs associated directly with the project (eg. Postage costs for sending promo CDs to radio stations)
The funding CANNOT be used for:
- Recording costs
- Mixing costs
- Equipment purchases
Your application must clearly demonstrate how you will use the $10,000. Please ensure that your budget balances, and that only eligible costs are included. If you are unsure whether a cost is eligible, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOW TO APPLY
The HTH Initiative application must be completed online. You will be required to provide:
- Contact details
- An artist bio (200 words or less)
- An artist press photo
- A proposed budget outlining how you would use the $10,000 to manufacture, promote and distribute your release (Download a budget template)
- A rough timeline of when you will complete the activities listed in your budget (Download a timeline template)
- A URL which links to a zipped file on Dropbox containing MP3 files that showcase your music (maximum 3 tracks). These can be demos.
Note: You cannot directly upload MP3 files to your application. The files must be in a zipped folder on Dropbox. You will need to supply the link to this folder in your application.