The halls and function centres licence was the first licence APRA AMCOS issued in 1926. To this day, this licence scheme continues to ensure legal use of copyright music for thousands of halls and function centres: both those who hire out to third party hirers and those who stage music events themselves.
This licence allows halls and function centres to open up their premises for hirers to bring in live or recorded music to entertain the community. The licence fee is pegged to the number of people your venue caters to (in increments of 100 or part thereof) and how many third party functions you hold each year.
A function centre has a capacity of 280 people (rounded up to nearest one hundred = 300), and expects to host 40 corporate functions (see 2, below) over the year. The licence fee is $3.54 per hundred people 3 x $3.54 x 40 functions per annum = $424.80 Rates effective: 1 December 2016 to 30 November 2017.
- We do not license functions of a domestic nature, so birthday parties, weddings, anniversary gatherings, wakes, or any other private functions will not bear an APRA AMCOS licence fee.
- If your venue holds a Live Artist Performance Licence EXCLUDE any functions in the calculations above where you have already supplied the Gross Expenditure details to APRA AMCOS under this scheme.
- The halls and functions licence scheme excludes hiring the venue to an event promoter to hold an event where music is performed.
- The scheme also excludes hiring the venue to concert promoter to host a concert where admission fees are charged.
- The licence scheme excludes a function where the Gross Expenditure on a Live Artist Performance exceeds $2,500 or where the function is held or organised by the venue itself. To discuss licensing options that best suit your needs in these circumstances, contact us directly.
- There is no need to advise APRA AMCOS of functions where there is no music.
Other music events in halls and function centres
For any other use of music that occurs outside of third party functions, additional licences may be required – speak to us on 1300 852 388 to find out more.
We’re here to help you, please contact us on 1300 852 388 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need Help?Read our FAQs
You can chat to us now via live chat.Open Live Chat
Call us on
Music Customer - 1300 852 388
Music Creators - 1800 642 634
General Enquiries - 02 9935 7900