What is the Ambient Music Reporting Form?

‘Ambient’ music use is widespread in businesses such as acupuncturists, chiropractors, naturopaths, physiotherapists, beauty salons etc. However, because of the nature of these businesses, it is not possible to obtain music usage reports.

The Ambient Music Reporting Form allows APRA AMCOS members to report the use of their ambient works by detailing the sale of CDs or downloads to businesses in Australia and New Zealand only.

Claims made using the form will only be eligible if it is accurately deemed the ambient music release was purchased for business use. Sales for private use cannot be reported.

Can I use one form for all my releases?

No. You are required to complete one form per release.

What information do I need to supply on the form?

You must include the following information about the release:

  • Release title
  • Titles of the works on the release
  • Names of composers
  • Work durations
  • Total durations of co-written and solely written works on the release.

You must also include details of the businesses that purchased the release including:

  • Business name
  • Contact name
  • Contact phone
  • Contact email
  • Address

Your claim will not be paid if you do not include these details.

How do I collect this information?

Selling CDs in person (markets, fairs, workshops)

At the point of sale, you will need to ask the customer, “Will this CD be used as part of a business?” If so, please document the customer’s details (business name, contact name, contact phone, contact email and address) as required by the Ambient Music Reporting Form. If this information cannot be obtained, then the use of the CD cannot be reported.

Selling online (PayPal and artist’s own online store)

We recommend selling your ambient music through your own website using PayPal and compulsorily prompting the customer for an email address and/or business information. If business information is not acquired at the point of sale, it is advised to generate an automatic email for your customer/s requesting business information. Remember that without this business information, your Ambient Music Reporting Form will be ineligible.

When will I be paid?

Ambient music claims are generally paid annually in November. Members must submit their Ambient Music Reporting Form by 31 August 2017 to be paid for the period 1 July 2016 to 30 June 2017. 

I missed out on submitting my Ambient Reporting Form for a previous year. Can I still get paid?

The retrospective claim period for ambient music is one year. It may be extended to up to three years where appropriate extrinsic evidence (i.e., going beyond a mere claim supported by a statutory declaration) is provided in support of the claim. It will be credited at the rate applicable to the distribution in which it is paid. 

Need Help?

Read our FAQs

Call us on
Music Customer - 1300 852 388
Music Creators - 1800 642 634
General Enquiries - 02 9935 7900

Find your nearest office

Email us at
Music Creators -
Music Customer - licence@apra.com.au
General Enquiries - apra@apra.com.au

Can't find what you’re looking for?

Contact us, we're happy to help.

Site Menu

Search the Website