What is an ISRC and where can I get one?

The International Standard Recording Code (ISRC) is the international identification system for sound recordings and music video recordings. APRA AMCOS does not issue ISRCs. ARIA is the Australian International Standard Recording Code national agency, and it administers ISRCs. For more information about the ISRC system, or to apply for an ISRC for your recordings, please email isrc@aria.com.au or visit the ARIA web site: www.aria.com.au/pages/isrc.htm.

Please supply all your ISRCs to APRA AMCOS by adding to your works registration details. ISRCs are used by APRA AMCOS to assist in matching work details reported to us by Digital Service Providers for digital download sales. ISRC information therefore assists in maximising the download royalties we can pay to our members.  

How do I join my band up to APRA AMCOS?

The copyright in a song is owned by the individual songwriter or writers who wrote the song. For this reason, only individual songwriters can join APRA AMCOS. A band cannot sign up as a single entity. That said, if all people in the band write songs or collaborate to write songs, then all band members can individually join APRA AMCOS as members.

If you are in a band, when you complete your APRA AMCOS membership application, make sure you tell us your band/performer name. When registering works that have been co-written with the band, you will also need to tell us the names of the other writers and the ownership percentage splits for each of the writers. It's important that all songwriters within the band agree on the percentage splits for each work before registering the work with APRA AMCOS, otherwise this can lead to problems down the track when royalties may become payable for that work. 

Each song co-written by the band only needs to be registered once on the APRA AMCOS website via our member login. The band should agree on who will take responsibility for registering each work and providing the songwriter and ownership split details. If more than one writer registers the song and there are differences in the details provided, this can make it harder for us to track the use your music and pay royalties correctly.

Only the musical work copyright owners (ie the songwriters and the music publisher if applicable) should be credited in the APRA AMCOS registration.

For more information, see Working With Co-Writers

How do I register my works?

Before registering your works you must first establish the type of work that you have created eg. A New Original Work, Remix, Arrangement, Jingle etc. Then you can log in to our Writer Portal and submit a registration.

If you have signed a general catalogue (GC) agreement with a recognised music publisher then you do not need to register your works online. Your publisher will take care of this. Please contact your publisher for more information.

Find more information on the different types of works and how to register them here.

A band is performing my songs. Can they do this without my permission?

Yes, in most cases they can. The venue in which the band plays must hold a OneMusic licence if they will be playing OneMusic Australia’s music (which, of course, includes all of our members music); it is not the responsibility of the individual bands to obtain a licence to play. The OneMusic licence gives the venue a blanket licence to authorise the performance of all OneMusic Australia’s music (which is the vast majority of commercially available music from around the world).

I have a dispute with a co-writer over a work - the co-writer is also an APRA AMCOS member. Can APRA AMCOS help me resolve this dispute?

When working with co-writers, it is best to have a clear written agreement that states the nature of your collaboration. See our guide for working with co-writers here.

Disputes over royalty entitlements are expensive, time consuming and often left unresolved.

APRA AMCOS is concerned about such disputes between its members and has established an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) system to assist both Writer and Publisher members. Click here for more info. 

I want to make a CD that will include covers of other people's songs - do I need a licence to do this? What if I want to upload it to a site like iTunes?

Do I need a licence?

Yes. You may need to obtain an AMCOS licence if you want to make a recording of a song composed by another writer. Find out more here.

Uploading cover versions to digital service providers like iTunes, Apple Music, Spotify


If you are recording a cover version of a work and wish to make it available on iTunes in the US, you are required to take out a licence with the Harry Fox Agency (AMCOS equivalent in the USA). Go to www.harryfox.com/license_music/ and head to their Songfile Mechanical Licensing tool. In cases where the Harry Fox Agency do not represent the work, you may be able to obtain a compulsory licence via RightsFlow – see www.rightsflow.com and head to the Limelight licensing area.

Major digital service providers, including Spotify and Apple Music, are responsible for obtaining licenses directly for the content on their service, so you do not need to obtain a licence in these instances.


As long as you've first obtained a manufacturing licence from AMCOS, you can supply your recording to a digital service provider (DSP) such as iTunes, Apple Music, Spotify etc. APRA AMCOS licenses DSPs directly, and so royalties for downloads will be collected by APRA AMCOS on behalf of the rights holders. 

What do I need to do to show my work is copyright protected?

You do not need to register your work, pay any fees or fill in any forms for it to be protected. Copyright protection is automatic, both in Australia and overseas. As soon as you write down your lyrics or music, or record it onto any medium, such as an MP3, CD or tape, it will be protected by copyright. The only requirement is that the work is original (ie it is not copied) and the result of some skill or effort on your part.

You also do not need a copyright notice on your work for it to be protected, however, it is advisable to warn people that you own the rights in the work. The notice is the copyright symbol ©, your name (and the names of other co-creators), and the year in which the work was created or published. For example: © John Brown, Jenny Black, Jackie Green 2008. You should mark all copies (print and recorded) with this notice.

It is rare that disputes arise about who owns the copyright in a work, but if this occurs, you do need to be able to prove that you created the work. The best evidence of this would be early drafts or recordings of the work as well as diaries detailing its development.

I'm a little confused about what publishers do and publishing deals

Visit our publisher hub here. If you have any further questions about publishing, contact Publisher Services on publisher@apra.com.au or call1800 642 63.

Can I earn royalties for digital downloads?

It depends.

Unfortunately, there are many illegal download services (including P2P services) – for example, Limewire, eDonkey and mp3fiesta – which are unlicensed. You should not expect to receive royalties from the use of your music on these sites or services.

That said, APRA AMCOS has a licence agreement in place with most legal Digital Service Providers (DSPs) in Australia, including: NineMSN, ABC Online, SBS website, Yahoo!7, MCM websites (Take 40 and Hot Hits), News Digital Media sites, Fairfax Digital - to name a few. Please contact your local APRA AMCOS Writer Services Representative to inquire about a specific service.

If the digital music service is licensed by APRA AMCOS then there are two types of royalties you may be entitled to.

  • Firstly, there's the communication royalty we collect for making available online and/or electronically transmitting the work to the customer's computer.
  • Secondly, we also collect a reproduction royalty for the reproduction of the song to the customer's hard drive or mobile phone.

For APRA AMCOS to collect and distribute these royalties on your behalf, you will need to ensure we are authorised to collect both sets of royalties for you. Contact us to find out what your membership currently covers.

You can also help us identify when your works are downloaded on these services by ensuring that you register your new works before they are sold on the internet. Please make sure that you provide the ‘performer name’ when you register your works.

We distribute royalties for any of our members’ works sold over a licensed service within our territory (Australia/ New Zealand). Our digital download tariff has been ratified by the Copyright Tribunal with a combined APRA AMCOS royalty for digital downloads being set at 9% of the retail price, subject to minimum fees.

Can I earn royalties from airplay on online radio and digital radio stations?

Yes. The majority of Australian and New Zealand online and digital radio stations are simulcasts of their analogue versions, and this additional use is licensed under their standard APRA AMCOS agreements.

Can I earn royalties if my work is played by a webcaster?

Unlike digital radio or online radio stations, a webcaster is specific to the internet, i.e. they do not have an analogue equivalent.

For webcasters, it's still early days.  Given the small amount of advertising revenue currently being generated by these services– their licence fees are a fraction of those paid by commercial radio broadcasters. This means that royalty distributions for streams by webcasters are incredibly small; keeping in mind the vast number of hours of music programming and the significantly lower licence fees we collect.

Can I earn royalties if my music is broadcast on YouTube?

APRA AMCOS’ licence agreement with YouTube covers the streaming of all music videos including music embedded in user generated content (UGC).  However, because of problems in identifying music in UGC, distributions are only made on official music videos.

You may find that your works have been being reproduced or synchronised as part of other users’ uploaded content to YouTube. It is important to understand that the reproduction/synchronisation rights of a work are owned by the original copyright owner/music publisher. Therefore, a work cannot be used without gaining permission from the original creator (that means you!).

If you discover that your musical work has been used without your consent, there are two options available:

  1. Contact the user who has used your work and license them directly.
  2. Contact us and we will endeavour to have the video taken down from YouTube on your behalf. 

Please note, if you want to upload cover versions of songs to a User Generated Content site (UGC), you must first clear all reproduction/synchronisation rights with the music publishers/original copyright owners.

Are there any royalties for broadcast performances of my music from the triple j Unearthed website?

Musical works broadcast on the triple j radio network currently earn performing and communication right royalties from APRA AMCOS. We are currently working with the ABC to obtain data for streams from their websites. 

Can I earn mechanical royalties if my music is downloaded from the triple j website?

Uploading your songs to a website can be a great way of getting your music heard, but before uploading your work, it’s important that you read and understand all the terms and conditions. In the case of triple j, you should be aware that the upload agreement states that there will not be any royalties received from promotional downloads.

What happens to my royalties when I pass away?

In Australia, copyright exists until 70 years after a songwriter’s death. APRA AMCOS can arrange to have any future royalties generated by your musical works paid directly to a person entitled to receive them until that time (usually the beneficiary of your estate). This person is referred to as a Successor in Title (SIT).

Who can I contact for further information?

For an application form or to find out more, contact Nicola Tuckwell NTuckwell@apra.com.au, 02 9935 7801

What information does APRA AMCOS need from my SIT?

The SIT needs to complete an application form, an electronic banking form and also provide us with:

  •        A notarised copy of the death certificate
  •        A copy of their ID, for example a drivers licence or passport
  •        A copy of the will (if there was one)

Who can I contact for further information?

For an application form or to find out more, contact Nicola Tuckwell NTuckwell@apra.com.au, 02 9935 7801

What happens if I'm not a member of APRA AMCOS at the time of my death?

The SIT application process is the same, we just enter the songwriter’s details posthumously into our system as if a new member.

Who can I contact for further information?

For an application form or to find out more, contact Nicola Tuckwell NTuckwell@apra.com.au, 02 9935 7801

Can I have more than one SIT?

Yes - there is no limit to the number of SITs you can have your royalties paid to. For example, if you have 4 children your royalties can be paid 25% to each of them or any other percentage as detailed in your will.

Who can I contact for further information?

For an application form or to find out more, contact Nicola Tuckwell NTuckwell@apra.com.au, 02 9935 7801

What is the process once my SIT has submitted their application?

Following receipt of all documentation, the SIT application is presented to the Board of Directors for approval. Once that has occurred, we enter the SIT into our system as an Associate Member, organise for any royalties accrued in your account to be transferred to their account and pay them in the next available distribution.  All future royalties will be paid as per our distribution schedule with the SIT receiving an email to advise that payment has been made.

Who can I contact for further information?

For an application form or to find out more, contact Nicola Tuckwell NTuckwell@apra.com.au, 02 9935 7801

Need Help?

Read our FAQs

Call us on
Music Customer - 1300 852 388
Music Creators - 1800 642 634
General Enquiries - 02 9935 7900

Find your nearest office

Email us at
Music Creators -
Music Customer - licence@apra.com.au
General Enquiries - apra@apra.com.au

Can't find what you’re looking for?

Contact us, we're happy to help.

Site Menu

Search the Website