In 2005 the Universities Australia entered into an agreement with APRA, AMCOS, ARIA and PPCA to cover its 38 universities for the majority of their music uses. Music plays a huge role in education at a tertiary level, and not just in music-specific classes.  

The Universities Licence broadly includes the following rights:

  • Playing music on hold
  • Playing music in the workplace
  • Performing music in public at free university-run events
  • Copying music or sound recordings for educational purposes (such as making audio recordings, making audio-visual recordings, making these recordings available for download and streaming on the university LMS).

What does the licence cover?


Use of audio and video recording for events, lectures and course materials

Copying and Communication


Access to licensed audio and video recordings under a secure University network either onsite or remotely

Public Performance


Live and recorded performances for educational purposes and free university events (excludes 3rd party hire)

Making Copies of Print Music

Universities wishing to photocopy or scan copies of print music can need to check their usage falls within with the Copyright Agency Statutory Licence. This is not a use covered by the APRA AMCOS ARIA PPCA blanket licence at this point in time. 


Need Help?

Read our FAQs

Call us on
Music Customer - 1300 852 388
Music Creators - 1800 642 634
General Enquiries - 02 9935 7900

Find your nearest office

Email us at
Music Creators -
Music Customer -
General Enquiries -

Site Menu

Search the Website